Guidelines and Selection Procedures
The mission of the Champions Foundation is to expose people to positive environments that promote spiritual values, patriotism, physical fitness, desirable habits and skills, and the desire to excel in all endeavors.
The purpose of the Guidelines and Selection Procedures are to outline the selection and the procedures to be used in identifying athletes to be inducted into the Athens Athletic Hall of Fame. All inductees must have begun or finished his/her athletic accomplishments in Athens Clarke County. All selected inductees may have participated in sports on a high school, college, or professional levels to qualify.
The selection committee shall be composed of former inductees that currently serve on the Champions Foundation Board of Directors.
The Nomination Process
A nomination serves as the initial step in the induction process but does not serve as a guarantee for induction. The selection of a hall of
Selection Committee Meeting
The Selection Committee meets annually to determine the number of eligible inductees. A minimum of (5) inductees may be selected. The announcements of
The induction ceremony shall be held in May unless the board of directors approved an alternated month and date. A letter of confirmation will be mailed to each inductee providing information on the Sunday Luncheon and Inductee Ceremony. At the ceremony, each inductee will be announced and presented a Hall of Fame Plaque and Blazer. A plaque will be presented to a deceased inductee’s family member or designee.
Inductee Screening Guidelines
- Each application must be completed and include name, address, phone #, email, nominated by, etc. Additional information may be attached to the original inductee application.
- Nominees must have graduated from high school 10 years prior to nominations to be considered for induction.
- Each application must be submitted prior to the listed deadline and contain an electronic photo for publication.
- The criminal background of all nominees may be reviewed.
- The accomplishments of all inductees will be evaluated for final consideration.
- Inductees must adhere to the Athens Hall of Fame Inductee Ceremony Guidelines.
- The Secretary should maintain a separate list for the board in its entirety and one for the (AHOF) Selection Committee.
- All information discussed by the Selection Committee regarding the selection of inductees to the hall of fame must be held in strict confidence under all situations.
- The board of directors for the Champions Foundation will have final approval of all inductees.